Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Lush Landscape and Wonderful Wildlife


Seeing the lush landscape on the way to school every morning has become almost routine. Costa Rica is full exotic vegetation, birds and other wildlife.

The other day, my family went to their property in the country and we picked limes, bananas, and sweet potatoes. When they said that we were going to cut bananas, I assumed that we would be cutting the bananas from the trees. Much to my surprise, cutting bananas means cutting down the entire tree. We also had fun digging up potatoes and cooking them for dinner.

One of the things that I love about Costa Rica is the fruit trees... they're everywhere. When my family goes on a walk and we see a fruit tree (guava, mango, orange... you name it), we throw sticks up at the tree so we can catch the falling fruit and eat it during our walk. Once I saw tucans in some fruit trees.

Normally I wake up to the sound of a rooster crowing, but one morning I was awakened to an earthquake! It was small and only lasted a few seconds, but I was excited.

And did I mention the crocodiles? We were driving over a little bridge when I looked down and saw... yes... crocodiles in their natural habitat. I've also seen my share of gigantic toads and snakes. It's not all tucans and banana trees!

No comments:

Post a Comment