Tuesday, September 15, 2009

July 4th on September 15th


Independence Day!
In preparation for Independence Day, my host siblings had to make lanterns for the parade. I helped them (aka I did all of the work) in making one lantern shaped as the symbolic ox-cart of Costa Rica and the other shaped as a tradtional Costa Rican home. The lanterns were so stellar that my host sister won the contest at her elemantary school!
During the day, I watched the parade in the town center with my classmates. We hooted and hollered when my little host sister marched by playing her xylophone. There was also a traditional dancing performance from students in my highschool. I couldn't get enough pictures of those beautiful dresses!
What I found to be really interesting is that after the festivities, some mothers brought snacks for the children who participated in the parade. Unlike typical American snacks of Twinkies and fruit snacks, the mothers brought little plates of rice with chicken!
Although I've been doing my best not to compare Tican culture with American culture, I couldn't help but make a comparison between the very different celebrations: I missed the neighborhood BBQs, but enjoyed chicken and rice in the park. I missed the fireworks, but watched a parade of homemade lanterns. I missed celebrating it with my family, but I celebrated it with a different family of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment