Saturday, August 15, 2009

The Simple Life


The past week has been great. I'm really starting to feel like I live here and that I'm a part of the culture, not an outside observer. I've come to appreciate the simplicity of things here and hope to bring that appreciation back to the U.S. when I return. For example, Thursday night was one of the best nights yet. I played cards with my hermanitas (little sisters) and my host dad went up the road to the pulperia (general store) and brought back a pint of ice cream and a bottle of coke. It was a really fun time, and surprisingly simple!

Weekends are my favorite part of being here. On Saturdays, we drive down to the property that my family owns and enjoy the peaceful setting (and the neighbor lady's homemade corn tortillas). I love how on Sundays, we go up the road to grandma's and eat stew and lounge around, followed by a family walk.

This past week, I've felt really content and not dying to return to the U.S. I think I'm finally becoming a part of the culture, and it's really a great feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment